IESE Expands Barcelona Campus
The €10 million project forms part of a wider investment plan for Barcelona, Munich and Madrid
IESE has expanded its Barcelona campus, investing €10 million in renovation and new buildings. The move, which comes in response to an increase in school activities – in particular, a 22% growth in the MBA program – has led to an expansion of the South Campus of some 25%.
Work at the Barcelona campus forms part of an investment plan that began with the opening of a new campus in Munich in 2015. This will extend to IESE in Madrid, where a new building is scheduled for 2017.
The project is fruit of continuing support both from the 45,000-strong IESE alumni network, and corporate sponsors, who have provided 70% of the financial backing. IESE has financed the remaining 30% of the work.
The initial phase of the project, which is being carried out at Avenida Pearson 21, involves extensive renovation and extension work at the site of old campus building. A new building is also under construction, which will house an auditorium with capacity for 350 people. The new building will also accommodate two classrooms, offices and work spaces, and is scheduled for completion in December 2016.
These two buildings are set to service the MBA program, which has an intake of 356 students this year – a significant increase on last year’s cohort of 292. Since 2013 the IESE MBA has seen application growth by 37%. This year’s cohort is the most international, boasting some 64 different nationalities.
The Department of Research is one of the central pillars of the school, with 14 research centers and 21 chairs, each led by a highly distinguished IESE professor of international renown. The doctoral program supports the development of academic talent all over the world and has been key to the incorporation of 10 new IESE faculty this term.
Thanks to the work of these two departments, IESE continues to be a benchmark in global research. IESE faculty are regularly published in the world’s leading academic journals, and lead discussion at academic congresses, business and institutional forums and across the international media.
The first phase of the project is the renovation and extension of a building that dates back to 1962 and was designed by the architects Juan Rius i Camps and Juan Ignacio de la Vega y Aguilar.
The project is being led by architects Ribas & Ribas – who also spearheaded the construction of IESE’s North Campus – and respects the architectural essence of the original building, while adapting it to the school’s evolving needs. COMSA is responsible for the building work.