Machine Learning for Textual and Unstructured Data.
Fundación Ramón Areces - IESE Business School Seminar · June 19-23, 2023
Over the past decade, the use of unstructured data has been growing steadily in economics and related disciplines, with a rapid acceleration in the wake of COVID-19. This Machine Learning for Textual and Unstructured Data Seminar, organized by IESE and the Fundación Ramón Areces, is aimed at introducing machine learning methods for the analysis of text and unstructured data to an audience of academics and researchers in the fields of finance, economics, and accounting.
An outline of the course structure and objectives:
- This course will begin with an overview of the challenges and opportunities of working with such data with a focus on natural language.
- We first review relatively straightforward methods that operate on raw word counts across documents before studying machine learning algorithms for dimensionality reduction, which is a key problem in the analysis of text and unstructured data. These encompass factor models whose basic structure is similar to well-known econometric methods, as well as neural network models which form the basis of much of modern natural language processing.
- We also show how these ideas can be applied to non-textual data such as surveys, images and scanner data on goods purchases.
- Coding will be done in Python. Knowledge of Python is not required, and we will provide extra materials and in-class support on coding for participants.
- Finally, we will discuss how these methods are employed in empirical research in economics, accounting and finance.
- Participants will also have an opportunity to present their own research in an informal but constructive environment at the end of each day.
The seminar forms part of IESE’s Center for International Finance (CIF), which advocates a multidisciplinary approach to generate and disseminate knowledge and promotes best practices in financial institutions and capital markets.
Dates: June 19-23, 2023
Venues: IESE Business School, Madrid campus, Camino del Cerro del Águila 3, 28023 Madrid (June 19-22) and Fundación Ramón Areces, Vitruvio 5, 28006 Madrid (June 23)
Cost: The seminar (including lunches and Thursday Gala Dinner) is free. Attendants must cover their travel and accommodation expenses.
Participants: Places are limited to 70 participants.
Applying to the seminar.
This seminar is aimed at academics and researchers in the fields of finance, economics, and accounting. If you wish to take part in this seminar, you must pre-register online through the link before March 31, 2023 and upload the following documents:
- Currículum Vítae (in English).
- Personal statement, in English, on why you want to attend the program (maximum 400 words).
Places are limited to 70 participants for the 5-day program. Successful candidates will be offered a place on merit by a Selection Committee consisting of representatives of IESE and Fundación Ramón Areces. Although this communication was originally scheduled for April 14, due to the high volume of applicants (the Admission Committee increased the number of admitted participants from 50 to 70) the final decision has been slightly delayed. Many thanks for your understanding.
For any questions on the program or the registration process, please contact us at email@example.com.APPLY
8:45 a.m. Bus to IESE (from Collection points 1 & 2**)
9:30 – 9:45 a.m. Reception and Welcome
9:45 – 10:45 a.m. Lecture
10:45 – 11:00 a.m. Coffee Break
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Lecture
12:15 – 1:15 p.m. Lecture
1:30 – 2:30 p.m. Lunch
2:45 – 3:45 p.m. Coding Session
4:00 – 5:00 p.m. Coding Session
5:00 – 5:15 p.m. Coffee Break
5:15 – 6:30 p.m. Participants’ Presentations
6:45 p.m. Bus to Hotel (to Collection points 1 & 2)
** Collection Point 1: Calle Zurbano 79, 28003 Madrid (Entrance Hotel NH Zurbano)
Collection Point 2: Calle Serrano Jover 3, 28015 Madrid (Entrance Hotel Princesa Plaza)
20:30 p.m. Gala Dinner
Place: Filandón Restaurant – Carr. de El Pardo a Fuencarral, Km. 1.9, 28049 Madrid (Google map)
10:30 – 10:45 a.m. Reception
10:45 am. – 11:45 a.m. Keynote Lecture – “Features count approach”
11:45 – 11:55 a.m. Group photo
11:55 a.m. – 12:10 p.m. Coffee Break
12:15 – 1:15 p.m. Keynote Lecture – “Word embeddings”
1:20 – 2:20 p.m. Keynote Lecture – “Transfer models”
2:20 – 2:30 p.m. Closing Speech
2:30 p.m. Cocktail Lunch at Fundación Ramón Areces
Getting to the venues.
Camino del Cerro del Águila 3, 28023 Madrid
If you come by car or motorcycle, you can park in the parking facilities at no charge. Using public transportation, you can take bus 160 from Moncloa and stop at IESE (Carretera de Castilla-IESE). Remember to remind the driver to stop or request that the bus stop by pressing the button.