José Felipe Bertrán Chair of Governance and Leadership in Public Administration.
Holder: Santiago Álvarez de Mon
In today’s globalized world, it is not only companies that compete; it is also economies and, therefore, public administrations. An efficient public administration translates into social progress and substantive improvements in the competitiveness of the economy.
The José Felipe Bertrán Chair of Governance and Leadership in Public Administration is dedicated to developing conceptual frameworks and promoting profound and rigorous reflection on public affairs which will translate into management improvements that will impact competitiveness.
Among its activities, it offers training in political leadership and public management for senior executives in the public sector, within the IESE Public Management Initiative. It also promotes and participates in international colloquiums and conferences.
- To help business leaders and executives to understand the role of the public sector in economic development.
- To raise awareness among political leaders and public officials of the importance of their role in the overall economy and how to improve it.
- To develop a conceptual framework and a set of principles and instruments to help solve the problems of action in government and leadership in the public sector.
- To produce case studies and technical notes for use in training activities.
- To identify cases that aid reflection and study of best practices.
Holder of the Chair.
Santiago Álvarez de Mon is a professor of Managing People in Organizations. A Doctor in Sociology and Political Sciences from the Universidad Pontificia of Salamanca, he is a consultant for companies and professionals and a writer. His areas of interest are leadership, high-performance teams, and coaching and professional career development. He has published numerous books on these issues and frequently writes for the media.