Schneider Electric Sustainability and Business Strategy Chair.
Holder: Pascual Berrone
In recent decades, society has increasingly come to expect companies to be drivers of social change, addressing problems such as climate change, water stress, access to electricity, the depletion of natural resources, pollution, shifting demographics, poverty and inequality.
Building a more sustainable future requires long-term focus and commitment. The Schneider Electric Sustainability and Business Strategy Chair analyzes the strategic business models and governance measures that could contribute to this goal.
The Chair aims to address the challenges of sustainability through deep scientific understanding. Equipped with this knowledge, business practices can be adjusted to create more responsible and lasting corporations that can form part of a more responsible society.
- To understand sustainable innovation as a source of competitive advantage.
- To identify business opportunities in the process of solving social challenges (The doing well by doing good philosophy).
- To assess the impact of sustainable initiatives on firms’ overall performance, identifying conditions for win-win situations.
- To study the processes through which companies can solve global sustainability challenges in urban areas, focusing especially on water conservation, energy management and sustainable mobility.
- To identify organizational structures and governance mechanisms that facilitate sustainable strategies and innovation.
- To calibrate the benefits and risks of different sustainable initiatives on global markets and society at large, including those at the base of the pyramid both in emerging and mature economies.
Holder of the Chair.
Pascual Berrone is a professor of Strategic Management. He is vice president of the Iberoamerican Academy of Management and academic director of the Cities in Motion platform. He is founder of the Madrid Strategy Group and associate editor of Organization & Environment and Family Business Review. His work centers on understanding the impact of sustainability studies and the conditions necessary to ensure their effectiveness. His studies have been published in the most prestigious business journals, and he has received several research awards.