Corporate Governance Conference to feature top scholars and business leaders
Speakers include Nobel laureate Bengt Holmström & heads of Cellnex, Ferrovial, Naturgy, Schneider Electric and BNP Paribas
What issues will be on the agendas of corporate boards in the coming years? How will COVID-19 and other uncertainties affect the corporate strategy of companies? What role do board members play in incorporating sustainability into strategy?
These are some of the questions that will be discussed at the upcoming IESE-ECGI Corporate Governance Conference to be held Oct. 4-5, under the theme “Boards of Directors and Corporate Strategy in an Uncertain Context.” The conference is organized by IESE’s Center for Corporate Governance and the European Corporate Governance Institute (ECGI), with the sponsorship of the Social Trends Institute.
The importance of corporate strategy
Corporate strategy is considered a central driver of the firm’s long-term orientation and a key lever for delivering financial performance. Corporate governance suggests that boards of directors have the duty to govern the firm and help develop it sustainably for the long term.
In dealing with strategy, boards face a complex task. Board directors need to understand the businesses of the company and their industries, as well as the main issues in complex strategic decisions, such as digital transformation, decarbonization and corporate restructuring. At the same time, the level of strategic uncertainties that companies and their boards face is also increasing.
Top scholars and business leaders
The upcoming conference, to be held over two days, will discuss these issues and more. The line-up of speakers includes top academics working in the areas of corporate strategy, corporate finance and organizational economics. Those include:
- Bengt Holmström (Nobel Prize in Economics and MIT professor)
- Marco Becht (Université Libre de Bruxelles)
- Margarethe F. Wiersema (University of California, Irvine)
- Ioannis Ioannou (London Business School)
- Renée Adams (Oxford University)
- Jay B. Barney (University of Utah)
- Colin Mayer (Oxford University)
Speakers will also include CEOs and chair persons from top-tier companies, including:
- Denise Kingsmill (Board Member, Inditex)
- Tobías Martínez (CEO, Cellnex)
- Rafael del Pino (Chairman, Ferrovial)
- Risto Siilasmaa (Investor and former Chairman, Nokia)
- Francisco Reynés (Chairman, Naturgy)
- Jean-Pascal Tricoire (Chairman, Schneider Electric)
- Herman Daems (Chairman, BNP Paribas Fortis)
- Sophie L’Hélias (President, LeaderXXChange)
- Juvencio Maeztu (Deputy CEO & CFO, Ingka Ikea)