Executives and entrepreneurs combat uncertainty with entrepreneurship and innovation
More than 2,500 alumni to attend hybrid IESE Global Alumni Reunion in Barcelona on how entrepreneurship can drive positive change
November 16, 2023
IESE’s Global Alumni Reunion 2023 gets underway in Barcelona today, kicking-off a three-day event that will focus on how entrepreneurship can drive positive change and innovation in a context of global uncertainty.
As IESE´s flagship annual event, the reunion brings together top CEOs, global speakers and academics with members of IESE’s more than 55,000-strong global alumni community, for three days of networking, discussion and learning. This year, around 1,200 people are registered to attend in-person across two days at IESE´s campus in Barcelona, with thousands more connecting online.
In a time of global turmoil characterized by geopolitical tensions, conflicts and sustainability challenges, this year´s conference theme of “Elevated Entrepreneurship” is particularly pertinent, says Mireia Rius, Executive Director, IESE Alumni and Institutional Development. “A flourishing entrepreneurial spirit – characterized by the ability to spot opportunities, create, adapt, and overcome challenges – is critical to driving innovation and positive impact across the globe. As we strive to be architects of positive change, this conference can inspire and empower attendees to not only navigate through turbulent times but also build bridges to a more sustainable and harmonious future.”
Top CEOs and entrepreneurs share wisdom
On Thursday and Friday, CEOs of multinational companies and entrepreneurs from all over the world will talk about the challenges and opportunities of entrepreneurship with IESE professors, including the Academic Directors of the reunion, Anneloes Raes and Christoph Zott. There will also be dedicated networking and active learning sessions interspersed throughout the discussions, as well as visits to companies such as Seat, Barcelona Health Hub, GFT and Boehringer Ingelheim, among others.
Among the speakers will be:
- Hubertus Von Baumbach, Chairman of the Board of Managing Directors and CEO of Boehringer Ingelheim
- Abubakar Suleiman CEO Sterling Bank Plc, Nigeria
- Steve Bandrowczak, CEO, Xerox
- Anusha Thavarajah, CEO Asia Pacific, Allianz
- Sylvie Nicol, Executive Vice-president, HR, Infrastructure & Sustainability, Henkel
In addition, a variety of entrepreneurs will give sessions and participate in panel debates, including:
- David Katz, founder of Plastic Bank, a startup that combines blockchain and recycling to end poverty and pollution by turning plastic into currency.
- Anna Maiques, CEO and Co-founder of Neuroelectrics, a high-tech company which aims to restore brain health, minimize disabilities and create a better life for patients.
- Inés Serra, founder of BIOSORRA, a social enterprise that has developed an affordable and ecological fertilizer.
- Ivan Rodríguez, founder of Vivla, a Spanish real estate company.
- Chetna Sinha, founder of Mann Deshi Bank and Mann Deshi Foundation.
- Bruno Lea, CEO of HAAS France, Spain and Maghreb, a company that produces robot machines for industry.
- Igor de la Sota, founding partner of Cardumen Capital, an alternative investment manager regulated by the CNMV that invests in high-tech companies in the Israel market, a leader in innovation and applied technology.
- Salone Sehgal, founder of Lumikai, India's first venture capital fund investing in the video game industry.
To close the reunion, on Saturday there will be various social events for alumni, including a golf tournament and wellbeing sessions focused on topics like mindfulness and sleep health for high performance.