Business Ethics Department
Head: Joan Fontrodona
Business is not merely a realm for profit maximizing; it is also a human reality. As such, human excellence can manifest itself in the decisions and conduct of individuals and organizations.
Our Department of Business Ethics is committed to highlighting ethics as essential to and at the core of business activity and decision-making. The complexities of a global and dynamic business world, where non-economic and economic concerns coexist, give ethics a vital role in guiding human action, always with the potential for human excellence in mind.
Founded within the framework of IESE’s mission to serve society, especially the business world, the department is committed to training future managers to consider business ethics in their analysis of business problems.
Coursework includes Leading Organizations: Systems, Values and Ethics, Christian Anthropology, Christian Humanism and Business Culture, and Social and Political Ideas for Business.
Through their research, the department’s faculty is bringing the most recent and influential ideas in business ethics to the academic and business community. Some of their findings have been published in books and prestigious journals such as The Journal of Business Ethics and Business and Society Review.
Areas of expertise
- Ethical foundations of management
- The role of business in society
- Corporate social responsibility
- Ethics and decision-making
- Humanism in organizational cultures
- Corporate corruption and fraud
We have pioneered the organization of conferences and forums in the field such as The International Symposium on Business, Ethics and Society, with more than 15 editions, and the recent Humanizing the Firm and the Management Profession workshop.
In addition, faculty members regularly participate in the following conferences:
- European Business Ethics Network (EBEN)
- Society for Business Ethics (SBE)
- International Society of Business, Economics and Ethics (ISBEE)
- International Symposia on Catholic Social Thought and Management Education
- Corporate government regulation
- Performance appraisal systems & incentive systems
- Pricing policies and product profitability: activity-based costing
- 19th International Symposium on Ethics, Business and Society, Barcelona, July 4-5, 2016
- The 1st Iese-Luiss Conference on Responsibility, Sustainability and Social Entrepreneurship, Rome, April 18-19, 2017